The crematorium, which is in use since 1959, was designed by Sir Dawber, Fox and Robinson and sits in a circular infrastructure. In 2011 plans were made for to add mercury abatement and extensions to the chapels. The X-plan, the style of the old building and restraints of the site called for an inventive architecture, this was delivered by CLAY architecture.
The new extensions keep the symmetry of the original design. Setting them to the side of the chapels avoided removing trees and cremated remains, also this plan managed to and sightlines within the extension to the apse and pulpit. Choosing to supplement the crematorium with a modern volume seems to have worked quite well since the design has been awarded the regional RIBA award